Well I am a lazy peep about some things (and that includes transferring 400+ RSS’ed blogs to a new reader.) So the platforms I have been trying are the ones out there anticipating the close of Google reader which are offering ‘quick’ import buttons which link to your Google reader account and extract all RSS.
Hum and despite it all I have pretty much tried the WordPress reader and disliked the spammy billboard look (although the twitter like follow suggestions were cool.) But navigation to a particular blog – or a carefully grouped folder of ..say priest bloggers was pretty much not going to happen.
Currently I am playing with Feedly (requires Chrome or somesuch):
And I am looking at The Old Reader:
Alas although I went to google and retrieved my RSS as a ‘Takeaway’ so that I could upload the feeds (2step process, no where near as simple as feedly) I am still waiting for them to finish processing my import … its been a day. The old reader does look like a possibility beyond the wait… if the import ever comes through.
Hum and I was once a Bloglines peep (my first RSS catcher actually) but they threatened to close which is how I ended up on Google in the first place… so perhaps now that they claim “they are not going anywhere” I’ll check them out again. [EDIT – tried this and couldn’t get past their ‘migration’ button /sigh]
The Ancient Gaming Noob put me onto Feedly (Bless you Ancient Gaming Noob) so here is that post ‘Google Reader Alternatives? Again?‘ and other collected readings listed below
- Tobold’s Blog – Replacing Google Reader
- Stylish Corpse – No Google Reader For You
- Spinksville – Does the Death of Google Reader mean the Death of Blogging?
- Stephen’s Lighthouse (library blog peeps) – Google Reader Retires July 1st: Options for When Google Sucks
- Bio Break – Google Kills Reader, Shoots Bloggers in the Knee (haha awesome title!)
- Killing Them Slowly – A Google Reader Alternative