Spark Post from: 20 Days of… WoW Blogging Challenge: by Saga of Spellbound.
Day 08 – 10 things we don’t know about you
- Sometimes I am a social coward. When playing a hunter I once misdirected by accident to the healer instead of the tank in a Wrath heroic ‘Culling of Stratholme’ (The one with all the respawning undead adds) and got him killed and then quietly pretended I didn’t know how he had died when chaos started in party chat. The PUG team decided he must have heal aggroed the adds. O_O I had group play anxiety for years until that friendly alliance guild adopted me, I soloed almost all my game content outside of RL friends. The LFD and LFR systems were a god-send for me and opened up so many opportunities.
- Sometimes I am really brave. I am always that idjiit who gets flagged trying to assist in world PVP. I am always that idjiit who pipes up in PUG party chats with “lay off the tank/healer/dps they are actually not as fail as you are trying to make out”, I am always that idjiit that ends up on the raid heal team. I have actually come to terms with potentially holding the administration reigns for the guild while my guild leader is off having her baby; even though responsibility and commitment terrify me.
- I don’t do online romantic relationships. Despite some peeps putting the play on (“Hey baby I will buy you a mount”) and despite other guildies occasionally deciding that “there may be romance in the air” for me with [insert guild member here]. I can tell you straight I will never sex a peep up via cyber, or sit in vent pouring my RL heart out looking for a connection, I don’t flirt unless I am taking the piss, oh and even though I am not looking for love neither am I interested in peeps that want a booty call. I will in fact assume everyone I meet online is either a 10yr old boy or an 80yr old grandma or married with 20 dependants unless I meet them in real life first, despite any evidence to the contrary.
- On the other hand I was once a part of Role-Play guild of gay-male-Tauren-furries and it was hilarious. I know so many terri-bad and dodgy tail emotes now.
- I am actually capable of typing in full sentences without emotes, game jargon or short hand language. I am reasonably good with grammar, punctuation and written language (although a lazy speller with a huge mishmash of US/UK spelling in my head) and have in fact been involved in constructing academic quality reports, policies and papers. I don’t do any of this on my blog because I find the language of wow trade chat (barrens chat for the horde) magical in its own way and I delight in doing everything ‘wrong’ here on this blog. Truly delight in it! [Honestly it makes me feel gleeful on the inside… heh heh and petty, it’s like dropping your weirdest trash in other peoples office bins for kicks]. Have some emoticon: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
- I research EVERYTHING. And I do mean everything – the topics I have sunk effort into looking into to understand better would boggle your brain. Happily this research addiction actually is more help than hindrance in wow, so I am pretty independent when it comes to developing my online character. I do alright preparing for content before actually doing the content.
- I am a compulsive reader and am thus driven absolutely nuts by the fact that the church billboard across the road from my house doesn’t update for like up-to two months at a time and I am stuck reading it for the duration… compulsively… every day, more than once a day. Also honestly they don’t seem to put a lot of thought into what they put up there once it said something like “You can run from God but don’t forget he has a Big fish to bring you back” (beware you unbelievers of the sewer hunting grounds of the god whale) and well we took photos of last months because it was so special:
Anyway when I am not doing anything in particular I read, wow blogs are one of my go-to reading resources to fill the every hungry reader soul because you can read a post while waiting for coffee, you can read a post while waiting in the car you can read a short post damn near anywhere thanks to smart phones.
- I think willy-wag-tails are the most fantastic birds ever. If you delved into the underlying psychology of my affection for the willy-wag-tail it probably has a lot to do with the Australian habit of hero-worshiping the underdog (ever seen one of these little birds take on a magpie, it is brilliant the way they move-it-move-it like tiny fighter planes), hee and in part its because they look like little birds in tuxes and they are prone to dancing and wiggling their tails at me – what can I say I have ever been a soft touch for a flirt. Still the affection for the underdog is somewhat randomly related to my motivations for playing Horde at the start of the wow-experience in the first place and may help peeps understand why I always seem to end up picking some bottom end class and spec and trying to “work it baby work it” anyway.
- When I decide I like something it stays liked. Maybe I am like a badger or an elephant? I decided I liked willy-wag-tails the best when I was six, it’s a memory because when I was six I got peer pressured into doing a poster on the Rosella instead. I like wow. I will probably play wow until the ability to do so is removed from my hands by outside forces. I can’t be guilted or bossed or shamed into quitting by others because it’s a conscious choice to play this game and even though I am open to other games this is the one I am invested in more deeply, it wins for time considerations over some other games. But I do have the RL before wow (with exception for raid appointments) rule. I am a responsible adult who balances my time and manages my commitments and if I want to indulge in a 5yr old computer game some of my friends don’t like then I will do so.
- I am entirely capable of getting emotional over game content. For example I didn’t like the dragon aspects giving up their power at the end of Dragon Soul and stepping down from the histories… it felt ominous and like wow was on the way out. Honestly Ima bit old to get gooey eyed about the end of the reign of the magestic dragon aspects… but hey it still happens every now and then.